Saturday, November 28, 2009

Blogging: where i've been and where i'm going

As my rookie-year of blogging is coming to a close, I thought I'd take few lines to share some conclusions about the whole experience. When I started, I really had no idea what I was getting into. I had an unrealistic expectation that I would have hundreds of followers, just dying to read the next awe-inspiring post by Yours Truly (slight exaggeration... good thing I can laugh at myself!).

Seriously though, I had an expectation that each of my posts would have at least ONE comment, but the past year shows that that experience was the exception, and not the rule. I often thought, was my post not interesting enough? Did people not like the topic? My conclusion or opinion?

To help justify the existence of this blog, I tried many things. I used twitter to notify the world when I had a new post. I then linked my blog to facebook, so it would update my status when I added a new post, and then would tag my facebook friends, hoping that they would read and leave a comment (annoying, I know... sorry :\ ). I even signed up with a website that monitors activity on a particular website, giving information about how many visitors the site was receiving. There was traffic on the site, which was a good sign, but I was frustrated that no one was leaving comments. Combining my comment-frustration with a lack of post ideas that I wanted to write about and time to produce them lead to the practical flat-lining of my blogging life.

This is where I've been the last few months, and why I haven't posted very often. At the same time, I think this time off has been good for me. I have learned some things about blogging that I didn't realize before, and am ready for a new blogging season. I've learned that most people, including me, don't like to read long blog posts, nor do they have the time. I've also learned that blogging doesn't necessarily have to be for my readers--- it can be for me.

I'm looking forward to re-entering the blogging world, recharged and focused. It's time to do the things I once did, to remember why I started this blog in the first place:

a collection of my thoughts, notes from time with God, embracing the life that i have been given and yearning to ignite a generation for Christ, to awaken the apathetic, and to be a catalyst that takes Christians from luke warm to absolutely on fire, to bridge people to the love of God through relationships, to lead people to the indescribable joy of calling Jesus their Lord and Savior, to be a fully devoted follower of Christ. leaving the gray


I'm hoping you'll read along with me, and maybe even add your thoughts. Comments or not, my greater hope is that you run after Jesus along with me, that we would seize the opportunity to seek Him, to know Him, to read His Word and be transformed by it, that we would be the salt and the light of the world that He has made us to be, that we would leave the gray.


No comments: