Monday, November 25, 2013

The key to a completed checklist is...

...to remember that the checklist is never complete. When all is said and done, there will still be more to say and do.

I'm not sure why, but I always feel better when I cross something off the list. But it seems that for every one thing I cross off the list, 5 new things are added. Kinda nuts to think that I'll ever get it all done! Hi, my name is Chris, and I am a chronic list-checker. 

How fickle are our hearts. Why do we feel a sense of significance when work is completed, but feel less than significant when we fail to complete our plans? Are we our tasks? Of course not, but the heart sure does try to convince us of that.

Psalms 139:14 provides a helpful reminder for me: "I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well."

We are of infinite worth to Him- so much that our infinite God, being full of infinite love, stepped into finite time to forever completing the work that we could never complete, forever freeing us from the judgement we deserve for our sins.

We are hopelessly lost and burdened with the debt of our sin, but thank God for the unmerited grace He shows us- He alone has forever completed the justifying work of paying the sin debt for all who place their trust in Jesus.

My prayer for you and for myself is that we would always experience this reality: We will be most satisfied in life not by what we do, but by resting in what Jesus has done for us. You will never complete all the work set before you. But God will complete the good work He begins in you.

Our greatest joy is not found on a completed checklist, but on a conquered cross.

No comments: